Short History Of The Practice
(With thanks to Dr Hector Jones, former GP at Oakfield Street Surgery)
Oakfield Street Practice was founded in the early 20s by a Dr Phillips. He came as the “Comp” doctor to the local Powell Duffryn Colliery which then employed 3,000 men. Sadly, in November 1991 this colliery finally closed and with it the long tradition of mining in the Rhymney Valley came to an end. Dr Phillips, so the tale goes, had red hair. He was assisted by his wife, herself a nurse, and in his latter years he was driven around by a chauffeur. He was later joined by his son Dr R A Phillips (Dr Ron as he was affectionately known). He was destined to become a medical specialist, but after coming to help his ailing father for one month he stayed over 35 years! Dr Ron built the practice up until it became one of the largest in Glamorgan. During the war years he looked after 6,000 patients single-handed, no days off and no holidays! The miner paid one penny in the pound and for that his whole family was cared for.
I joined the practice in September 1948, followed a few years later by Dr Owen Thomas. We both stayed for nearly 40 years. Our main surgery was in Ystrad Mynach with front room surgeries in surrounding areas. The main hospital was Caerphilly Miners which was manned by neighbouring doctors and visited by specialists. There were no maternity services and most babies were born at home. In 1957 we acquired a plot of land in Oakfield Street and with £4,000 built one of the first purpose-built surgeries in Wales. Each doctor had a consulting room and there were rooms for the nurse and reception, all very modern at that time. An extension was built on to this in 1982. We have come a long way in over 70 years from colliery office to modern surgery, always striving to serve our community well.
This website has been designed to tell you about the practice and the services that we offer. Please read it carefully. We trust that you will find it helpful and informative.
Oakfield Health And Education Centre
In 2002 we opened the Health and Education Centre at 16 Bedwlwyn Road which is about 100 metres from the main surgery. Routine surgeries, wound dressings, chronic disease management clinics, nurse-led clinics and counselling surgeries are held here on a daily basis. There is a large training room where patient education forums, staff training and practice meetings are held.